Thursday, September 30, 2010

Simply Because "You" Asked

 This was on an email I get and I just had to share! Enjoy! :)
Simply Because "You" Asked
By Cindy Meadows
 
I remember my district superintendent telling us that he could call his wife in the middle of the night and tell her to meet him anywhere, and she would get up and come - without explanation - simply because he asked. His point was that she trusted him and loved him that much! I was impressed. I was also wondering in my heart, if I trusted my husband that much. Not that I don't have a great trust in and love for him, but my own reasonings and questions are what would get in the way. I finally concluded that her trust and love were greater than mine.

Trust and love are truly the fruit of planted seeds that have grown over time. When I pondered on that wife leaping out of bed in the darkness, driving off toward the unknown, I couldn't help but relate the incident to our own personal responses to the Lord's requests. How many appeals does He bring, in prayer or in His word, and is our love and trust deep enough "to leap into action," simply because He asked? Or do we respond with our own arguments (Lord, come let us reason together) and questionings?
Are we easily led?

The Bible, besides being a wonderful love letter filled with promises and blessings, also includes His desires for us, what He would like us to do to please Him. How much attention do we give to those mentionings? In our Year of Covenant, I want to lower my yielding point. Was that a request, Lord? I want to hop to it! Like David's mighty men who risked their lives to bring him water from a distant and dangerous well, I want the Lord's designs and desires to quicken in me immediate action, simply because He asks. My responses acknowledges the greatness of the One who is asking.

In II Chronicles 15, Azariah, the prophet, had a "word" for Asa, king of Judah. Asa had already done much cleansing in the land, and Azariah confirmed to him that his work would be rewarded and that he should continue. He did proceed to destroy idols and also repaired the altar for burnt offerings. He then gathered the nation together to offer sacrifices to the Lord. Verses 12-15 really surprised me:

"And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, and to yearn for Him with all their heart's desire and with all their soul; And that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman. They took an oath to the Lord with a loud voice, with shouting, with trumpets and with cornets. And all Judah rejoiced at the oath . . ." (Amplified).

The nation was so zealous to get back to God and to please Him wholeheartedly that they were excited about entering into a covenant with Him. This was not a forced consecration but complete love and trust. If God was asking, they were saying yes. They even wanted those who wouldn't enter into the covenant to be put to death. Perhaps that zeal was slightly overdone, but who could deny their passion to please their God? They took their oaths with shouting and music and rejoiced at the entire affair! One scholar said they were so excited to please the Lord that they had to rejoice in their vows, and yet took it all so seriously they didn't want anyone around who didn't feel the same!

What an example they left for us, footprints to follow! Theirs was a path I would like to follow. What is it You want from me, O, God? What might You be requiring? I want to be zealous to perform it - simply because You asked!

No comments: