Monday, March 13, 2017

finding contentment in change

Many times I have heard the phrase, "Bloom where you are planted." Haven't we all? I think as an Army wife, sometimes this statement becomes redundant.. it is used over and over.. We move and well about the time we are "comfortable," it is time to allow those packers to come in and load your "home" onto an 18 wheeler. For what can be a few days, maybe a few weeks, or even longer you are "homeless."

I remember the first time we had to move, I thought the "homeless" thing was kinda humerus. I remember calling my mom and telling her I was officially homeless as I watched that 18 wheeler drive away. It has become a joke now, each time I see that truck drive away, I say it... Homeless... It doesn't really affect me that much anymore, and I guess in some ways it is still humerus. It has a feeling of adventure, excitement, and of course stress that comes with moving. It doesn't matter if you are moving next door, down the road, or across several states or an ocean there is always stress.

For an Army wife, moving is a way of life. After a while, I think most of us start to feel that,"let's get to moving" itch. We feel that excitement in the air. Change of scenery, a new home to decorate, new adventures, new places to explore, and most of all new friends. Friends are a blessing and many times become family.

In our years of Army life, I have been blessed with some of the best. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting into when my husband signed that dotted line and promised to work for good ol' Uncle Sam. It was something I never imagined "us" doing. Of course, it was a joke to me and one that well I can laugh about now. Never tell your husband in a sarcastic tone he should do something, he just might come home the next day having done just that! Joined the Army! I didn't love the idea at all. It took a good year or so for me to realize what we had really gotten ourselves into, well actually what HE had gotten us into.

The more we move and I met other Army or military spouses or our extended church family, I am amazed at how each of those friends help to mold me into something more. With each move and new place I find more of myself becoming something different. I am becoming more of what "HE" wants me to be. Each time that He places me in a new environment, I find that I can grow and I can learn more. I am becoming bits and bits of that person He created me to be. I'm always reminded, he's still working on me.

As I am faced with a new place on the horizon and having to say many farewells here in a place that well, had to grow on this country gal. I still feel like that fish in a big pond I once wrote about, but I have learned that I can manage. :) Big girl panties still intact! LOL  I have expanded my family once again. I have learned that I can be a supportive Army wife and really LOVE it, I can be a leader, I can be an adoptive aunt, I can be a friend, I can be just a stay at home mom once again, I can help soldiers and their families, I can learn new skills, and more importantly, I have learned that I can grow in more ways than one and I can still learn to be CONTENT.

I now realize, that when that 18 wheeler rolls away, I am still home. When my sweet family of four climbs into the car and drives away onto our next adventure, I am HOME, not homeless.

No comments: